Monday, January 23, 2012

Snow Day

It seems remarkably coincidental and happily appropriate that just as I am beginning the writing of novel #2 that we have a snow day.  Now, I just need to take advantage of the view out my window to begin crafting the story of Madelina and Treph as they realize that snow is falling on the land of Wymzi and try to understand the implications of that event.  Perhaps inspiration has come at the perfect time.  Now, I just hope I can take full advantage of it.

What inspires you?  We all have creativity within us, though that creativity comes out in different ways for us all.  So, what is it that helps get that creativity flowing in your life?  Here is a small list of some things and people that inspire me:

1. My wife and kids -- As I write, no matter what the project may be, I usually try to write something that I think my kids or my wife would enjoy reading.  I've been considering starting a series of children's books to read to my kiddos.

2. My mom -- Though she is no longer alive, whenever I create I think of her.  She was my biggest supporter on just about everything and was particularly proud of the songs, stories, or other works that I created.  She is a large reason why I create in the first place.

3. A good book -- Whenever I read an amazing piece of writing, I am inspired to come up with something just as inventive and enjoyable.  Some of my most recent good reads are: Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan, Inheritence by Christopher Paolini, and the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke.  I am currently reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.  All of these books have provided me with inspiration in my own writing.

4. A good song -- I love music.  A good song can give me energy, can put me in a specific mood, or can just provide me with a wonderful distraction.  Some of my favorite artists right now are: Matisyahu, the Maccabeats, and Weird Al Yankovic.

Those are just four of the things that inspire me.  I could continue naming other things like mountains, the stars on a clear night, and even boredom is sometimes inspiring to me.  But I am more interested in knowing what others find inspiring.  Comment and share your inspirations!

No comments:

Post a Comment