Friday, January 27, 2012

Why I Write

Why do writers write?  What is our inspiration?  Our motivation?  I can't speak for all writers everywhere, but I can share my experience.  I would love for this to begin a conversation so that I can hear some of your reasons for writing as well.  Mine will probably not be exhaustive because I think many things along the course of my life have led me to this point, but I will share with you the main reasons that come to my mind this morning.

I write to:
1. Find connection -- Being an introvert means that interacting with others regularly is exhausting.  Yet I crave connection.  Writing, expecially fiction writing, gives me opportunities to interact with the characters in my story, or at the very least eavesdrop on the conversations of the characters and immerse myself in their lives.  It is for this same reason that I read or watch movies.  The characters become my friends, my companions along life's journey.
2. Express myself -- Writing allows me to put into words the feelings and thoughts that are rolling around in my mind that I can't seem to express in my real life.  Since I was 16, I've been writing songs.  In those lyrics, I've been able to share the depth of my soul in ways that I never could in a regular conversation with someone.  The same has become true with fiction writing.  Through the medium of the characters, I can explore and express the emotions and struggles of my own life in a non-threatening, comfortable environment.  It is a beautiful release!
3. Escape -- Sometimes real life gets challenging and painful.  In those moments, it is nice to simply escape to another world.  Writing provides me a means to that escape.  When I write, I can forget for a time about the challenges of my present reality and focus on the lives of my characters.  I can create a new reality for a time.  The process puts some distance between me and my struggles, which allows me to relax a bit, reconsider those challenges, and put things in a new perspective.
4. Feel good -- Writing just simply makes me happy.  I enjoy it.  I love to craft a new world, create and develop new characters, and see where the story takes me.  It is relaxing and fun!
5. Challenge myself -- I also love the challenge of writing.  Each time I sit down with my notebook and pencil or behind my computer in an attempt to put down some words or ideas I am presented with new and interesting challenges.  Perhaps I find myself with a character who I know is going to die.  How do I present that death in the right way?  Should it be a valiant death?  Should the character die slowly or instantly?  What is the cause of death?  There are many, many factors to consider.  Or perhaps a character has fallen in love.  How does with he or she express that love to the other?  Will it be requited?  Again, there are many options.  With each new word, with each new sentence, with each new chapter, there are dilemmas and obstacles when creating the story.  These are what I write for, the challenges are what push me along and keep me excited for the process.
6. Learn new things -- Finally (and this is by no means a complete list), writing gives me the opportunity to learn new things.  In order to create a NEW world, I often need to research different aspects of this world (e.g. - history, etymology, linguistics, mythology, anthropology, etc.).  This provides me with all kinds of new opportunities to learn and grow.

So, why do you write?  Do any of my reasons resonate with you?  Are there other reasons that you enjoy putting pen to paper (or fingers to keys as the case may be)?  I'd love to hear from you!

May the story rise up to meet you!

2 comments:

  1. I write in order to understand myself. Writing helps me to record thoughts, and to process them. I suppose most would not consider me a writer, since I don't write books, nor poetry. And in my journals I don't try to impress anyone with my style or use of words and phrases. In fact, I don't want to share my writing with anyone, and yet because I write I am perhaps made more aware and am better able to listen to others and help them to process.

    I relate to the six reasons you posted, but in a slightly different way. I find connections and grow, while I learn new things about myself. I am often able to express myself, and to release many burdens upon the page - so that I no longer need to carry them with me.

    I return from writing by going through a different door than when I entered into the safely walled zone. My countenance is brighter, my load lighter, and my direction seems better established. I set upon the path with greater traction.

    When my path seems as narrow as a balance beam over a deep gorge, then I am needed time to get low to the path and seek better vision. And if this goes well, then I freely open my eyes to see a wide and sturdy bridge - having my fears released to the rushing river below.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dennis, I would definitely consider you a writer. I don't think it matters what you write or who you write it for. If you write and that writing is important to you, then you are a writer.

      I can totally relate with what you are saying about learning things about yourself as you write and releasing your burdens. Writing can definitely be a cathartic experience. I experience the same, and that would be a good addition to my list here. Thank you for adding your thoughts! I hope you continue to read and respond.

      Delete