Saturday, January 14, 2012

Time to Get Started

Greetings to my three followers and any stray viewers of this blog!  While this used to be a blog for my reflections on books I was reading, I am transforming it into a blog dedicated to my own writing.  In November of 2008, I began writing my very first full-length novel as part of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month - www.nanowrimo.org).  I did not come anywhere close to completing the novel during that month, but I stuck with it.  After nearly three years, I completed my rough draft in October of 2011.  My novel, titled The Lantern of Rahela, is a middle-grade fantasy about 84,000 words in length.  Since October of last year, I have completed two self-edits and have begun disseminating copies to a select group of individuals in order to receive feedback from other readers and make more edits.  In the meantime, I have submitted a query letter to two literary agents with the hopes of obtaining representation in order to help get my novel published.  I was, of course, rejected by both, but it was a good experience for me.  I've decided to wait until I make some more edits to the manuscript before submitting anymore query letter however.  Here is a brief synopsis of the novel (feedback is appreciated):


It's fun to imagine you are a fairy while you flutter around with cardboard wings and pretend fairy dust, but what would it be like if that fantasy suddenly became a reality. Madelina, a young girl who grew up living in poverty, finds a lantern tucked behind the dumpster where she searched for scraps of food each day. When she lights the wick, the world she knows disappears and she finds herself in a foreign land with strange creatures who seem to think that she is the savior that they have been waiting for. Her cardboard wings have transformed into real wings and she finds herself floating several feet off of the ground. Madelina is welcomed to the land of Wymzi by a tree nymph named Treph who befriends her and leads her on a journey to find out about this new world while trying to stay safe from the evil plots of the wicked Queen Nakasha and her minions. The Lantern of Rahela is a tale of a nobody becoming the hope of salvation for a whole land.

The Lantern of Rahela is the first novel in the series Tales of Wymzi.  If you would be interested in helping me edit the manuscript or if you have suggestions regarding my synopsis, I would love to hear from you.  Welcome to the world of Wymzi.  I look forward to introducing you to Madelina and the other interesting personalities that are a part of this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment