Friday, February 3, 2012

Really Classic Movies....

I'm not sure what inspired me to write about this topic.  Perhaps it was a Back to the Future reference that my wife just made.  Or maybe it was a conversation I had on Facebook reminiscing about college.  It could have been how my son and I made our own movie that was a toy recreation of an episode of one ofmy son's favorite cartoons.  Or maybe it was simply the fact that I have nothing to write about of value, so I had to just pick a random topic.  I'll let you choose. :)  At any rate, here are my top 5 classic movies.  These are movies that are classic in my mind, though not necessarily in the minds of others.  I will attempt to share the reasons that I have come to view these movies as important and memorable.  So here goes nothing!

1. The Princess Bride -- Great movie, great acting, and very funny.
     What makes it classic?  An abundance of quotable lines and great memories of watching it with friends while quoting most every line before the actors said them.
     Best quote: "Anybody want a peanut?"

2. Monty Python and the HolyGrail -- Ridiculously wonderul
     What makes it classic?  More quotable lines and the memory of many friends watching the movie for the first time (I distinctlyremember one person saying, when the movie was all done, "That's the end?"...CLASSIC!)
      Best quote: "It's only a model."

3. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure -- High school "dude" humor
      What makes it classic? Again, very quotable.  Also, it is about the only movie where Keanu Reeves' acting is halfway decent.  Plus, who wouldn't want to go back in time and collect people from history for a report?
       Best quote: "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K."

4. Back to the Future 3 -- Yes, I did choose the third one!  It is by far the funniest!
       What makes it classic? Great quotes.  Touches on pieces of movies 1 and 2.  The old West is just fun, plus the old guy gets the lady!
       Best quote: "Run for fun?!?  What the hell kinda fun is that?"

5. Shadowlands -- I struggled with what to put at #5 because there are so many great movies that belong on this list, but I wanted a non-comedy to round this out.  And Shadowlands is an amazing movie.
       What makes it classic? Great story about C.S. Lewis.  Phenomenal acting.  Good lines.
       Best quote: "He comes in, he sleeps, he leaves.  The plot thickens."

What are your classic movies?  Why?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, The Princess Bride definitely belongs on the list. The quote which I think identifies the movie the best is "Inconceivable!"

    I'm not sure what movies I would include. I am basically a generation ahead of you, so the movies which were formative for me (and most memorable) are dated before these movies.

    My list would include a classic Western or two, especially with the Duke. I would walk around by swinging my hips after watching one of his movies.

    Most wouldn't consider them great classics, but I remember seeing Close Encounters of the Third Kind at a drive-in movie by myself. The bonus movie was The Deep. I drove to my uncle's farm that night (where I was spending the summer working as a teen), watching the sky and leery of any dark place - including the floor on the passenger side.

    My favorite movies tend to be strong in adventure - such as Raiders of the Lost Ark. I also like those with strong morals that touch me deep inside - such as Avatar.

    I don't know that I could decide on a top five list of classic movies though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reply! I have many more movies that could be added to this list (quite a few that aren't in the comedy genre), but I tried to limit myself. There are many movies that have had a shaping effect on my life and could easily be included as a part of this list or as a list of their own.

      I appreciate movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Avatar, or Close Encounters of the Third Kind. But that type of movie has never connected with me in the same way as others. I tend to go toward comedies and romantic comedies. There are certainly movies outside those that I love though.

      Delete